Sunday, January 16, 2011

A week is already gone!

I've already been a week in San Diego working for Invisible Children and it's gone by very super fast! To say I've been busy is an understatement. We've been busy learning among other things-Uganda an it's history and the financials of the organization. But more important to me I've been learning a lot about myself. I've been learning about who I am as a part of a team. It's a big transition to go from working by myself to working-and living (we're all in one house)-with 62 people. I haven't had a quiet moment and it's unexpectedly very pleasant! Im in a huge diverse group of people and every one of them is awesome. Its so cool to be constantly surrounded by people who, though totally different and from different parts of the country, are completely united to end the longest running war in Africa. These people are really cool but I find myself in constant comparison to who I am or should I try to be like someone else. What I'm realizing is that I am who I am, and as elementary as it sounds, God made me unique and I bring something unique to the table. I'm finding that as cool as the other people are-I don't want to be them and I don't need to be. I don't have to be self conscious about who I am I can just be me.
What does a day in the life of a Roadie look like? Wake up at 7 in a room with 6 bunk beds and eat breakfast/brush teeth before leaving at 7:45.



After the 30 minute drive we pull up 5 levels to the top of the parking garage and walk into the office.



We start the morning off with Q&A. It's a practice question we would probably get on tour and we have to answer it in front of everyone at the office. I have yet to get a question but I'm sure that will change on Monday. After that it's either class or booking. We've had history class, public speaking, looks at different non profits (TOMS shoes has been discussed quite a bit). Lunch hour rolls around real quick and good Mexican food is only a few blocks away at "Taco Rey". After lunch it's back to the same until 7pm then another 30 minute drive home.



Dinner is a simple meal of ramen or eggs and toast.



Then it's either studying, a game, or a movie. Then a shower. There are 63 people in this house. Half guys. One bathroom. It's interesting to say the least. Then it's off to bed to do the same thing the next day!



Location:San Diego, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment