Friday, February 11, 2011

19.99

My last day of being 19. My last day of being a teenager. Tonight I asked myself-what have I learned?

No simple question but I'll put just a fraction of my thoughts into text for you to try and unscramble if you wish.

My first thoughts to that loaded question? I've learned a lot. In fact I've learned so much I realize I don't know anything. What I have learned is the importance of education, history, listening to advice, patience, dedication, hard work, others and of course Christ in my life. A lot of these I've learned the hard way. I've had to experience pain, anger, heartbreak, fear, disappointment, bitterness and self doubt. However without the bad there wouldn't be the good. So what else have I experienced? So much. Joy, happiness, fellowship, adventure, friendship, best friendship, laughter, trust, a relationship with my Savior and I've experienced being myself and not being ashamed of it. I love knowing that I don't know anything about life and it's such a relief-I don't have to have it all figured out cause I know the one who's got it all figured out.

One of my biggest struggles has been finding out who I am. I'm proud to have found who I am, a guy who can't keep a straight face. One thing that I've always remembered is that when I was just a kid (I still am, I know blah blah blah) it was always pointed out to me that I was always smiling. For some reasonI didn't like that and for almost a decade I tried to be a "serious" guy who was smarter and "better" than others due to some misguided understanding that just being nice was lame.

After a long trip of trying to find who I am, I discovered it. I am just a happy guy. Even though the bad days come I will choose to be joyful about everything I do have. At the risk of sounding like a Thanksgiving dinner table, I'm thankful for: my relationship with my Savior Christ. For my family that deeply loves me and I deeply love. For my friends and all I've learned from them. For my life from the seemingly simple-breathing, feeling, tasting, etc to the complex-reasoning, emotion etc. I don't have to be better than anyone else, I won't be better than anyone else and no one else is better than me.

So who am I? Gods child, perfect and unique, happy to be here, learning even more about who I am and what else I'm doing here on earth as I live this short life and ready to experience the next 20 years.




Location:My Brain

No comments:

Post a Comment