It's been a wild ride. No other way to say it. It was incredible and such an experience, you don't even know. I'm struggling with the fact that, whoever you are, you don't know. You can't really connect with this last part of my life. Not to say you're not intelligent or anything. But I realize few people have volunteered 5 months of their lives for a non profit, living out of a van with 3 other people-one of which is from a war torn country. I was married to those 3 people for that time, actually I saw those people more than a married person see's their spouse. It was rarely a happy marriage either. I visited a mix of venues, high schools, colleges, churches-88 total. I planned 32 of those. I cold called about 120 venues total, and that's a lot of rejection. I spoke to over 11,000 people. I empowered them to take action and let their voice be heard to bring to light a terrorist group wreaking havoc in central east Africa. I met kids that were jolted awake to a world outside their own. I met people that loved us after meeting us 2 minutes earlier. I met amazing people. The most amazing people I've ever met.
I've experienced something that few people do. I've gotten perspective. I've seen the world through so many lens's that I'm blown away at how little I know. Through getting more knowledge I realize I know nothing in the grand scheme of things. I've been humbled. I've been broken. I've been loved by people that became my family.
I'm terrified that I can't share this experience with the world. I've learned so much. So what do I do now? Act like it never happened? Talk to you and carry on like I never left? I want to apply everything I've learned, I've grown, but you weren't there with me-you and I aren't on the same page.
Your life hasn't been a standstill either though. I want to learn from you. I want to hear your stories, but I haven't been here. I've been gone and you've been living life and learning and growing. Can we put our lives together? I want you to understand, truly see and understand my life and I want to hear your story.
Maybe you do understand. Maybe you can say "I know exactly what Spence is talking about". I hope you do. I don't want to forget the last 5 months, I want to share them with you and re-live them and continue learning.
Spence. You are right. We've struggled and we've grown, but oh how beautiful it has been to be there with you. I couldn't be happier to have been at your side through this entire experience. To watch you transform and blow the minds of youth to adults on a daily basis for 2.5 months. You're a wonderful person and I'm honored to be your brother (yes I know we're really related). Can't wait to see you again :)
ReplyDelete