Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day Three

The day started early at 6am packing up the "toy hauler" with gear, the RZR, and the two quads. We left the house at 6:30 half awake and arrived in the Mojave Desert at our campsite two hours later.
We unloaded and set up the trailer. We then registered and got ready to leave the line at 10. The race was 50 miles long and rated at a 7.3, a 10 being easy and a 1 being impossible.





I was the third off the line right after Spanky.





I was on a 400 Suzuki, number 66.





The ride was so much fun. As expected, there was so much variety on the 50 mile track. The first few was hilly and I took it somewhat slow as I adjusted to the feeling of a quad. After that, it opened up and early on I was able to max out at 60.1mph!
The track was marked but some unsavory people not associated with the race had taken down the markers and therefore Shaun and I got lost and drove around for about 10 miles trying to find the course again. During this time Spanky was leading as we booked it down a road and I mildly crashed into a ditch but Spanky didn't see me and kept going. I was able to pull it out of the ditch after a little work and right then Spanky came back for me. We went back and found the trail. And kept going. In another area I was going about 50mph and there was a little washout and I dropped of one side and came down hard on the other side uphill. I got bucked off but held onto the handlebars and got suspended superman style and drove through half a large bush as I tried to remount. The rest of the trail was fairly regular off road material: rocks, "whoops" (like extrapolated washboard), sharp turns and plenty of fast straight-aways. We made the track in 2 hours, refueled, and did it all again! This time without getting lost! We took it a little bit faster and my only mishap was running over my foot.











We did that lap just a bit quicker but still around 2 hours.
When we got back Shaun's dad had sandwiches ready in the 26 foot camper and I ate and then took a nap. When I woke up we had dinner. It was steak and cous cous and was very delicious. Then we went outside for a night ride!
When we got back we sat around the fire for a while. During the campfire something amazing happened. One of our "neighbors" who was sitting across the small fire grabbed a shovel and dug into the fire. We had no idea what was going on and before we knew it, he had put a small piles of hot coals under his folding chair. It was unbelievably brilliant soon all 7 of us around the fire had small piles of hot coals under our seats and were enjoying the heat.





After a few more piles of coals we turned in warm, but super sore from over 100 miles of off-road riding.

Location:Mojave Desert, Cal City

No comments:

Post a Comment